1. Never wash your garment before attempting to embellish it. The soaps and softeners in laundry detergents create residues that prevent adhesives on vinyl from sticking for their intended 100+ washes.
2. Use proper equipment for application. Household irons are not typically enough heat or pressure nor are they the consistent pressure that is needed for the best application. Only a professional garment designer is likely to have the equipment needed for this job.
3. A chemical like acetone or a strong chemical solvent has spilled onto the garment. Never wash jerseys or embellished shirts with rags that have cleaners on them.
4. Always wash inside out in cool water and hang dry. This will lengthen the life of your specialty garment. Dryers are okay if you use cool settings and don't leave the specialty wear on high or in with items like zippers which can heat up and/or snag your specialty garment.
5. Never Iron a specialty decorated garment. Rhinestones, vinyl, and transfers need special attention. If you want your uniform's color, flexibility and performance to last, you will need to treat it with a little TLC. If you simply must use an iron out of habit's sake, then best practice would be to not iron the area that is embellished. Also, iron it inside-out and put a towel between the iron and the garment.
6. Don't leave your garment to soak overnight in a wet washer or wet environment. Remove from the washer as soon as possible so it can dry properly.
Sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances outside of the client's control. Sometimes the garment decorator has used the incorrect vinyl for the fabric type. Unfortunately, there is little that can be done in this scenario as the client will need to address the professional's customer service line directly. Luckily, most sorts jerseys and shirts which use vinyl decoration have tenacious adhesive which is not likely to fail even in applications outside of their recommended use.
The clothing industry is ever-expanding in its products for specific uses. Be sure you contact a great company like Floppy Poppy Gifts who will always make sure your garments and their embellishments are a match made in heaven that will have the longest possible life-span available. For more tips, be sure to check out our on-site blog, too.